- Vocational Training and Production CentreThe Vocational Training Centre is another programme of the Ministry which provides free vocational training to the children with trades like Cooking, Tailoring, haircutting … Read more
- 24 Hours Crisis Management CentreThe centre function as 24- hour Crisis Management Centres to receive and provide necessary assistance to children in need of care and protection. As … Read more
- Lawei Baphyrnai Specialized Adoption AgencyIn order to facilitate the placement of orphan, abandoned and surrendered children for adoption, the J J Act empowers the State Government to recognize … Read more
- Lawei Baphyrnai Children’s Home (Boys and Girls)Lawei Baphyrnai Children for Boys and girls located at Langkyrding Mihngi and Mawklot respectively was started as a response to the needs of the … Read more
- Out of School ProgrammeReach Shillong Ministries‘s Out of School Programme is an educational programme which aims to make Right To Education a reality in the life of … Read more
- Educational Sponsorship ProgrammeReach Shillong Ministries also strives to provide education for all, through the Educational Sponsorship Programme. This programme enables those children, whose parents do not … Read more
- Open Day SheltersRSM had opened four Open Day Shelters viz, Iew Mawlong Centre, Nongmynsong Centre, Mawblei Centre and Laitkor Centre for Children in need of care … Read more
About the Agency
An important aim of the Specialized Adoption Agency(SAA) is to reduce the placement of abandoned, orphan, surrendered children in an institutional setup. The absence of the SAA, results in a large percentage of the abandoned, orphan and surrendered children being placed in an institutional setup, which could prove detrimental to the child’s physical, mental and emotional growth.
A well organized body is required to tackle the rising number of abandoned children & orphans in the state. The question that comes up every time we interact with these children is “Where are they going to go, a few years down the line?”. This is where the SSA comes in.
The SSA provides a home and a family to children who don’t have one. It also handles cases of children who have suffered abuse. It gives love to neglected children who have never known love. In order to make sure that all the above are met, Proper Monitoring is important.
The SSA ensures that all adoptable children in all Child Care Institutions (CCIs) are brought into the adoption system; The SSA aims to change the common perception on Adoption. Adoption is often regarded as taboo. It is something people don’t discuss openly. Consequently it leads to stigma. Thus, by having a SAA, the Agency can motivate people to adopt by organizing training and development activities to spread awareness about the Programme.
Objectives of the Specialized Adoption Agency
- To provide non institutional care to children who are orphans, abandoned or surrendered children for adoption.
- To ensure that adoptable children are brought into the adoption system.
- To be able to do Post adoptive Follow Up.
- To provide security to the lives of the children.
- To monitor adoption legally.
For Details: Central Adoption Resource Authority Website